Artillery Royale is a 2D turn based artillery video game for two players.
It’s like Worms Armageddon with updated art inspired by Brawlhalla: Best of both worlds!
I’m a huge fan of those games and I still spend at least an hour per day playing it with friends, today I want to make a combo as much dynamic and fun.
Note: Artillery Royale was named Chess Battle in the beginning.
Let’s learn about the gameplay
There are two different modes
In this mode, the two players start on a randomly generated map, with a defined number of characters.
The player’s goal is to eliminate all of the opposing player’s characters. Either by killing them or by expelling them from the map.
There are 5 to 8 characters per player: the Queen, the Bishop(s), the Rook(s), the Knight(s), and the King (not present in Battle mode, see Capture the King mode below).
Each of these characters is controlled in turn by the player, he cannot choose which character he wants to control, the order is pre-defined.
The parallel with chess is done via character classes (Bishop, King, etc.) but also by the fact that each character’s movement is limited by its class. ie: the Bishop can only move within a certain radius, the Rook a smaller radius, and the Queen without limitation.
Capture the King mode
In this mode, the rules are similar. The characters and the map are generated and positioned symmetrically (face to face) and the King of each player is positioned at each end of the map.
The goal is then for a player to go “capture” the opposing king (touch him with one of their characters).
Let’s meet the Characters
Playing different characters in the same game is one of the keys differentiation from other artillery games. Each character is visually different and has different abilities (and special weapons see below).
The Rook, for example, moves slowly (because it will be quite big), the Knight on the contrary is more agile.
Here is the list of the different characters and their particular characteristics:
- Rook: The rook is an imposing piece, moves slowly. Its special ability is to be able to make a protective force field.
- Queen: The queen is not limited in travel distance. It’s her special ability.
- Bishop: The bishop has a special weapon, his movement is limited, his speed normal.
- King: King’s movements are very limited.
- Knight: The knight’s special ability is speed and greater amplitude of jump.
Let’s discovers the Weapons
Each player starts with three unlimited basic weapons, bazooka; grenade; gun.
Then randomly on the ground, boxes containing a weapon appear. The player can pick up those boxes.
- Bazooka: Simple projectile, the trajectory is influenced by the wind, explodes when the projectile encounters an obstacle, projection force managed by the player.
- Grenade: Simple projectile, not influenced by the wind, bounced when encountering an obstacle, explodes after 3-5 seconds, projection force managed by the player.
- Pistol: Straight shot, not influenced by the wind, instantaneous (no movement of the projectile), no force of projection.
- Mortar: Simple projectile, the trajectory is NOT influenced by the wind, explodes when the projectile encounters an obstacle, no projection force.
- Bomb: Simple projectile, not influenced by the wind, heavy, rebounded very little when encountering an obstacle, explodes 2 seconds after touching the first obstacle, projection force managed by the player.
Bonuses/penalties boxes appear randomly on the map. A player can pick them up and their ability applies to the current turn.
- Double damage: Doubles the size of the explosions as well as the number of damage.
- Double distance: Allow the current character to move further.
- Everyone goes down: The ground sinks a unit in the lava.
Who is Jrmgx?
My real name is Jerome, I’m from France.
In my everyday life, I’m a web/mobile/game developer.
I had some success recently with Glitch Clip.
Today I want to level up and work on a bigger project!
I’m really motivated, and ready to dedicate time and money to make it a success!
What are the Ambitions?
The goal is to make a PC / console game and then think about the mobile version. It’s a paying game, not a free to play. The game is intended for two players and is played either via the Internet or on the same machine.